Located along the Ohio River on Pittsburgh’s Northside, the Allegheny County Sanitary Authority (ALCOSAN) provides wastewater treatment services to 83 communities including the City of Pittsburgh. ALCOSAN’s 59-acre treatment plant is one of the largest wastewater treatment facilities in the Ohio River Valley, processing up to 250 million gallons of wastewater daily.
ALCOSAN was created in 1946 under the Pennsylvania Municipal Authorities Act and began treating wastewater in 1959. Secondary (biological) treatment processes were added in 1972. The Authority is governed by a seven-member Board of Directors – three appointed by the Mayor of the City of Pittsburgh, three appointed by the Allegheny County Chief Executive and one joint appointment. An Executive Director reports to the Board.
ALCOSAN's Mission: To provide cost effective,
customer oriented and environmentally conscious
wastewater treatment that protects public health
and enhances the use of our natural resources
As a nonprofit agency, ALCOSAN is funded solely by user fees with capital funds raised through the sale of sewer revenue bonds. There are 320,000 residential, commercial and industrial accounts representing a service population of 900,000.
An environmentally and technologically focused organization, ALCOSAN recently completed a $400 million capital improvement program which addressed odor control, treatment capacity, solids handling and wet weather planning. We have now embarked on the largest public works project in the region’s history through $1 billion in engineering and construction projects to address combined sewer overflows.